1. Health

From the A.D.A.M. Healthcare Center:
'Cigarette smoking lowers HDL-cholesterol levels and is directly responsible for approximately 20% of all deaths from heart disease. Once a person quits smoking, HDL cholesterol levels rise within weeks or months to levels that are equal to their nonsmoking peers. Passive smoking also reduces HDL levels in people highly exposed to smokers. The importance of breaking this habit cannot be emphasized enough.'
Comments
October 1, 2007 at 1:44 pm
(1) Agus says:

So, What I have to do if I want to stop smoking? Medicine?
What about stress and my urges to smoke?
Yes, I am smoke.

October 1, 2007 at 1:49 pm
(2) agus says:

Will I gain weight when I stop smoking?

Medicine

November 22, 2007 at 10:55 am
(3) Barb says:

I eat healthily yet my heavy smoking caused raised cholestral levels. 6.4. I quit smoking 9 weeks ago and am due for another blood-test next week…I will post the result on here.

September 24, 2008 at 2:37 pm
(4) Irish says:

I am using Chantix to quit smoking. I am physcially fit (workout about 5 hours a week) with no other ailments except I have bad cholestoral levels; at this time I can only credit my smoking habit for the bad cholestoral results. Chantix makes you nauseated from smoking. You still have some urge to smoke, but when you do it tastes awlful and it makes you sick to your stomach. So far I am doing well. Dr. said I would be on this medicine for 120 days – 94 to go.

March 10, 2009 at 1:49 pm
(5) Delilah says:

Please explain to me how smoking raises the HDL? All I hear is it does, but no one says how

April 29, 2009 at 1:19 pm
(6) Sharon says:

There is the method I used to stop smoking. I had a heart attack 8 months ago. I stopped smoking that day and haven’t picked up one since. Gaining weight…I also changed my eating habits…low fat, lots of fruits and vegetables, omega-3 foods…and EXERCISE. No weight gain. And yes, it’s hard but the alternative is worse. Don’t wait for a heart attack to be your motivator.

May 7, 2010 at 9:08 am
(7) April in Missouri says:

After decreasing smoking to only a few small mild cigars per week my cholesterol dropped dramatically to 164 (LDL) and 40 (HDL). At the height of bad diet, smoking and no exercise it was at 280. I used Nicotrol and Chantix both to stop. My weight is the same but I’m working on it with flax seed smoothies, lots of greens and the Forman grill.

January 23, 2011 at 11:48 am
(8) soup d says:

How can I quit, I am going to die from a heart attack please help me. Any advice is appreciated