A Florida man suffered the loss of all of his teeth and part of his tongue when the electronic cigarette he was smoking on Monday blew up in his mouth, ABC News reports.
Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, Florida has been using e-cigarettes since he stopped smoking two years ago. According to his wife, the explosion occurred in the study of their home, and she said it sounded like a firecracker had gone off inside the house. The blast also started a fire in the room Mr. Holloway was in.
According to Chief Butch Parker of the North Bay Fire District who responded to the call, a faulty rechargeable lithium battery in the e-cigarette was probably the culprit. The brand of electronic cigarette was indiscernible, but there was a battery charger for lithium cells close by.
This accident is unique, but points to a problem that exists within the electronic cigarette industry - a lack of regulation and quality control on production. Many brands of e-cigarettes are manufactured overseas with no checks and balances on ingredients in either the electronic cigarette solution or the materials they're made with.
In April of 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced plans to regulate this smoking alternative as a tobacco product rather than a drug delivery device.
Image © Istockphoto