1. Health

Discuss in my forum

Terry Martin

E-Cigarette Accident

By February 16, 2012

Follow me on:

A Florida man suffered the loss of all of his teeth and part of his tongue when the electronic cigarette he was smoking on Monday blew up in his mouth, ABC News reports.

Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, Florida has been using e-cigarettes since he stopped smoking two years ago. According to his wife, the explosion occurred in the study of their home, and she said it sounded like a firecracker had gone off inside the house. The blast also started a fire in the room Mr. Holloway was in.

According to Chief Butch Parker of the North Bay Fire District who responded to the call, a faulty rechargeable lithium battery in the e-cigarette was probably the culprit. The brand of electronic cigarette was indiscernible, but there was a battery charger for lithium cells close by.

Electric Cigarette Explodes in Fla Man's Face - ABC News

This accident is unique, but points to a problem that exists within the electronic cigarette industry - a lack of regulation and quality control on production. Many brands of e-cigarettes are manufactured overseas with no checks and balances on ingredients in either the electronic cigarette solution or the materials they're made with.

In April of 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced plans to regulate this smoking alternative as a tobacco product rather than a drug delivery device.

FDA to Regulate Electronic Cigarettes

More Reading:

Image Istockphoto


Comments
February 16, 2012 at 7:44 am
(1) Jeremy Kimball says:

Tragic story but I am willing to bet the guy was using unprotected batteries in a mod and also stacking them. I would love for this article to showcase the full facts around the batteries (models,makes,voltages) along with any other makes and models of e-cigs found in this persons home. Anyone who uses incorrect voltage batteries, stacks them , or buys unprotected batteries are asking for trouble.

February 16, 2012 at 8:51 pm
(2) Lori says:

I would like, first of all, to give my deepest sympathy to this retired veteran. I live in the area and know that a certain brand of ‘automatic e-cig’ was introduced to the military bases… 2 years ago. I will not give the name, because, as the news reported, this was the “first type of incident that has ever been reported.” On an automatic battery, as we know, the liquid will leak down into that kind of battery, causing the lithium ions, both negative and positive, to become compromised after prolonged exposure. Without anyway for those kind of batteries to vent, when the ions finally collide with each other, then they will explode.

Mods usually have vents built into the body model, so that if the batteries start venting, they have a place to vent TO. Automatic batteries do not. If it was {1}dropped multiple times, had {2} liquid leak in it many times over a period of time, and {3}were getting old… well, can you see what can happen. I’m sure it it had been an older battery and was starting to get hot when he used it. But, we don’t know that for sure yet.

Again, my deepest sympathy to this American Vet.
People, USE AMERICAN MADE LIQUIDS… just sayin’.

February 21, 2012 at 10:43 am
(3) NC says:

I also read somewhere it was a “cigar-sized” device, much larger than the standard cigarette sized you find in stores.

What happens when you take an enormous amount of potential energy and squeeze it into a very small space? A bomb! Bigger bombs=bigger booms. That’s what these Lithium-Ion/Polymer batteries have become, with their ever increasing mAh and ever decreasing size.

There is a need to ensure the highest quality when using these things close to your face. People in China have died from exploding Chinese Li-Ion batteries in the past (in China, so not widely reported on). Hope to see some resellers choosing high-quality components in the future, especially when going with rechargable devices.

October 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm
(4) Hawaiian Don says:

I am so terribly sorry for this poor man’s horrific disfiguring and painful episode. As a smoker who quit cold turkey on 7/4/84, I never saw the need for such a strange device…but addictions differ.
This apparently is one product that needs significant regulation, a dirty word in this political climate. I hope that in the hurry to cure the smoking addiction we are not rushing to embrace products with untold hazards.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>
Top Related Searches
  • cigarette
  • ©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

    We comply with the HONcode standard
    for trustworthy health
    information: verify here.