1. Health

Terry Martin

Craving Cigarettes Three Months After Quitting

By February 9, 2014

The three month mark can be a bad time for folks who are quitting tobacco. The thrill of finally booting the butts has worn off, but we haven't yet completed the healing process from nicotine addiction.

Smoking cessation is a process of gradual release and takes time to unfold.  Learn what to expect and how to manage the challenges as they come and you can overcome this addiction, once and for all.

More Reading:

Photo © Stockxpert

Comments
July 17, 2012 at 10:20 am
(1) Allan says:

I’m approaching four years now very grateful to the lady who unwittingly caused me to stop. I do remember the shockingly strong urges to light up that could come out of nowhere. I also remember feeling that it was possibly the product of fear? I had been a smoker for 47 years since I was 12 and smoking was me. I couldn’t imagine me without cigarettes, I didn’t know the new bloke I was turning into. The new guy had willpower – that was scary stuff! I slowly came round to realising that all the other bad habits, especially the fun ones, were all still in place but now I was likely to enjoy doing them for a lot longer.
I coped with the initial urges by noting them literally in a little book kept in the pocket my cigs would have been in. Date, time and assessed strength of the urge. Doing that turns the process into one of studying not suffering – one almost steps aside to watch the urge go past. Also, being a lazy sod (one of those bad habits) I was always likely to quickly downgrade the urge to one not even worth writing about. That worked too.
Even now 46 months later, I still get the odd twinge (fewer than one a month!) but my mind is permanently set in a ‘study it not suffer it’ mode now

July 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm
(2) wayne says:

Well its been 1 week 3 days and 20 hrs and some minutes (according to the ap on my i phone ) its been really easy untill today. I have been so close to going and getting a pack. I didnt think it was going to be a problem but because im quiet at work i have hit my usual trigger. Nothing to do go for a smoke !!
I konw it will pass and i feel better while im writing this

September 11, 2012 at 8:06 pm
(3) Eenuh says:

Read the easyway to stop smoking! By Allen carrs!!

January 5, 2013 at 12:34 am
(4) Clay says:

I have smoked off and on over the course of my entire adult life. Smoking for a few years, quitting for a few, yet I’ve never beaten it completely. Last summer, after a five-year period of no smoking (I am 54) my friends were smoking around a campfire on a weekend retreat and out of the blue, I suddenly had the foolish notion that I could smoke “just one.” Just one was two by the end of the night. Then a couple every weekend. Eventually, a couple every day, then three or four, then five or six, and then New Year’s Eve arrived and gave me a reason to quit again. I am on day four right now, and feeling all the awfulness of withdrawal, but I’ve been there before, so I recognize it for what it is, and perhaps because I never got up to my previous pack-and-a-half habit, or only smoked for a few months, I think t should be a bit easier this time. Still, it feels bad right this minute and my mind is screaming at me to smoke … and that I can quit … next week … next month … etc. It’s a lie.

My father died of emphysema and there is a good deal of cancer in my family. Of course, I know I am a fool to smoke. I am an addict. It is very hard to quit. My wife is moderate in all things and can smoke a couple or leave them. I am not so lucky. All I can say is, I KNOW I have to quit. I KNOW I can quit. So, I will do my best to stay with it. For all of you going through the suffering of withdrawal, I feel your pain. Hang in there. You are not alone. It does get easier. But … do be wary. As they say, addiction is cunning and baffling. It can sneak up on you. Good luck and all the best.

March 20, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(5) jennie says:

I quit smoking 1 day ago 23 hours also according to my app. I won’t lie my goodness do I want to smoke cleaning the house staying busy seems to help a lot can anyone tell me some other things that may help and I am doing this cold Turkey

March 28, 2013 at 8:11 pm
(6) Rachel says:

Gave up last October so off the damned things 6mths now and feeling all the better for it. I do however get some desperate cravings. Things that keeps me going are my children telling me I don’t smell like an ashtray and more importantly they no longer say “stop killing yourself”, all of which is true, it seems. I have smoked 20 a day for 25yrs approx and am determined never to do so again. Most of my friends have quit also and this is very encouraging. It seems now that the dirty habit is no longer fashionable and people are starting to frown on those standing at the entrance to pubs, shops and on the street. Don,t smell like an ashtray and if that doesn’t work ask your partner what it is like kissing you…I cringed when I realized what an effect I really was having on my family and friends by smoking…not to mention myself…Quit, Quit, Quit

April 4, 2013 at 11:22 pm
(7) Alisha says:

I have not smoked since November. I have cravings all the time. Every time I smell a cigarette I get this urge to smoke. I think to myself, “just one can’t hurt” but I know in the end that “one” will turn into more. I don’t mind smoking, but someone very close to me in my life has told me if I continue to smoke they will leave. I know I don’t want to loose this person but my urges to smoke seem stronger at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the urge away.

April 17, 2013 at 12:29 pm
(8) Sarah says:

I quit almost 3 months ago after a 9 month quit and 18 years of being a regular smoker. Like one of the other posters, I thought I could have just “one” when I went out with some of my friends. One turned into two turned into the next day having three and so on until I had gone completely back to smoking. I don’t plan to ever go back now that I know I am truly an addict. I do feel lately like I would love one but I’m trying to get my body healthy for pregnancy. Cigarettes just aren’t part of the equation anymore. But it is so hard sometimes!! I really wish I never picked up the habit when I was a dumb 15 year old. I do have that crazy feeling like I lost a friend or that I lost something I really loved in life. Sad it was a plant rolled in a piece of paper that you lit on fire. Ha.

April 21, 2013 at 10:58 am
(9) bill says:

I have now gone 60 hours without having a cigarette, having smoked 30 plus per day for the last 25 years. To anyone out there wanting to stop,dont, do as i did,which is, wait until you have had the heart attack to stop Stop before the heart attack. Craving one now, but i am sure it will go . GOOD LUCK EVERY SMOKING QUITTER

May 14, 2013 at 6:26 am
(10) K thompson says:

I quit smoking on February 18th at 1:55pm. I still feel the urge everyday to smoke. I think about it everyday. I see people smoking and I feel like I’m missing out on something. I think one won’t kill me and then I think about my son who begged me to stop and I don’t do it.

May 17, 2013 at 8:09 am
(11) Sharal says:

I quit 34 days and 14 hours ago from looking at my app. The problem is that it never gets easier. I’ve been down this road before and lit up just 9 months after quitting a few years back. I have tried many times prior to that but never making it past a month. I believe that the craving never goes away, but our coping mechanisms improve over time. This time feels different though, the cravings are there but I know i’m going to beat them.

May 29, 2013 at 4:07 am
(12) Chris says:

I had been smoking cigs and weed every day for 15 years, 11 days ago I had hypnotherapy after trying many other methods and although you still need to be committed have found it much easier this time to the point where I have been out drinking and stood outside with the smokers and not even battered an eye lid or craved one (fact is all my mates smoke so its stand in alone or go out with them). Most people struggle because the unconscious mind plays tricks on you, nicotine is actually 100% out of the system after only 48 hrs so its the psychological side you must address. Because the hypnotherapy worked for me my girlfriend used a free non smoking self hypnosis track off you tube (3-4 times a week) and she said amazingly it has helped her. Annoying when I paid £500 ( although my main objective was to quit weed)! I believe this could also help people who have quit for years but still have cravings! Again you must be committed but I feel great, like a non smoker and wanted to share my revelation, if it helps just 1 other that’s a win in my eyes!

June 2, 2013 at 9:07 pm
(13) mrsg says:

I quit smoking four months ago. I still have horrible, miserable cravings every day. Will this ever end ? I know that just trying one ciggie will soon turn into a pack so I won’t even try. But is there a trick, a game, a substitue, (besides food) that helps put these cravings to bed. I think about smoking, I dream about smoking, yet I know I cannot go back to it. Someone, please help!

June 16, 2013 at 1:59 am
(14) Bob says:

It’s been more than 72 hours now since i smoked my last cigarette. Over the last 24 hours i have become highly irritated and just want to be alone. I know whats eating me is the desire to smoke.

I feel like i would turn the world upside down if i don’t get to smoke, i have lost patience completely over last 24 hours. I wonder what happens to junkies when they try to quit. I can’t tolerate a cigg. withdrawl. LOL!

I think i would go and smoke one because i know it wont turn two, hopefully. But for all the quitters, I wish them all success!

Stay away from this dreadful habit!! It sucks indeed!

June 19, 2013 at 10:58 pm
(15) jean says:

I smoked for 8yrs….I started at age 53 if you can believe that one. I was in a bar and very depressed. A man beside me offered me one and I took it. I then smoked another one of his. That started me on a journey. One that made me become a sneak. No one but my youngest son knew I smoked. My husband discovered me smoking on the porch one day and boy was he shocked. He later told my oldest son…and was he shocked and very dissappointed in me..as I was in myself. I really enjoyed smoking back then. I was younger and had not been smoking very long.
Then I began to hate it…the way I felt when I was smoking. I knew then that I was cutting my life short…my chest hurt from the tar…I got freguent colds…..Then one day I just decided I was tired of smoking…so I just stopped….I quit cold turkey….told my husband and my sons…I didn’t beleive i could quit because i had tried several times….Needless to say they are so very proud of me….as I am of myself….You can do it , when your ready…no one can make you do it…you must want to do it….not only for you but for your family….!!!!!

June 21, 2013 at 5:12 am
(16) Gabe says:

Well I am on Day 5. Boy this is tough, i have not felt this frustrated since the last time I went to a strip club.

To HELP you all, Jean is right. Quiting is one thing, but you have to want to stop. You are not giving some thing up, cos lets face it what does the ciggarette do for you!!! Make you look cool, erm no. Make you smell nice, erm no. Ahhh thats it, gives you horrible diseases, foul breath, no money and a shorter life. Go ahead light up, but hang on isn’t this why you stopped!!! Look be happy about the fact that you have quit and start enjoying being a non-smoker. I already feel sorry for people when I see them sucking smoke into their lungs, what a waste of time and their lives.

If you are still struggling, get a new addiction, walking, cycling, swimming, GYM get a dog, join a circus anything to give you some thing to do. When I get a craving i have a kids Lolipop, gives me some thing to do with my hands and generally tricks my mind, but my teeth hurt :( The shop keeper was suprised when I bought the whole jar, 160 of them 8p each the tight wotsit.

Don’t mope about wondering when the cravings are gonna end, seriously be happy that you do not smoke any more, concentrate on this, you have just freed your self from a drug addiction, well done you. Now go out and grab life by the horns and enjoy it.

Good Luck!

June 26, 2013 at 11:41 pm
(17) robert says:

four months and still want one. does this go on forever

July 16, 2013 at 4:42 am
(18) Dev says:

Hi Quitters,

It has been 45 days since I have quite smoking, has no cravings till yesterday . Smoked 2-3 sticks on an average for 14 years or so.
It’s haunting me for the last stick since yesterday, but not sure how long I will be able to fight this feeling.
My work routine changed and was stretching myself till late in the night, while driving back home or while having a drink the craving is crazy.
What I learnt is, the more you give it a thought, crazier the cravings are.
Trying to keep this thought away by writing here. Thinking if the last one will really be the last one.

All the very best

Cheers to Life!!!!!
Dev.

August 9, 2013 at 3:06 am
(19) Al says:

To all of us, who have quit smoking, whether it’s 4 hours, 6 weeks or 6 years. I don’t know if there is any easy way to stop smoking, patches, prescription, gum etc. The urge seems to find it’s through whatever means you use.
I have been smoke free for a little over two months. I used a 21mg patch for 14 days, while the actual urge for a cigarette went away, I felt like I was feeling just as addicted to the patch. I throw away the patches and decided to use nothing. Sure the urges were severe at first, but I looked at getting through each hour without a cigarette. That turned into wondering if I could get through eights hours, and now it’s if I can make it through a whole 7 days.
If you find you have a strong urge for a cigarette, think of anything but a cigarette. I found spending any time thinking about needing a cigarette made the desire even stronger. The quicker you put it out of your mind, the faster the urge will go away.
So nice to wake up with energy, no nasty cough and the realization,that I beat you yesterday and today is no different. If there any students in the group,my level of concentration is at an all time high. Sure I need to take a walk along the beach on occasion to fight an urge, but you know it’s free and the ocean has never smelled better.
I am not going to wish you luck, luck has no part in this, WE,can do whatever we put our minds too!!!!!

August 9, 2013 at 6:48 pm
(20) sue says:

started smoking when i was 13, quit when I was 63, started again 2 years ago, 2 per week, quit again 2 months ago, the craving is so bad, but I don’t want to start again, it’s a daily battle, I exercise walking 6 kms every day, eat right, the craving never goes away

August 24, 2013 at 2:32 am
(21) Jac says:

OK so I came on here to see if others felt the way I do right now…Ive smoked for almost all of my adult life – 25years (Im now 40).

I have tried soooo many times to stop. Stopped for over an entire year when I was 26 – went back to it like it was nothing. I had a baby last year and decided he needs his mother around. Now its been two months since I stopped and I think about it all the ******* time. I feel so deprived on such a profound deep level – particularly as my husband smokes, Im actually jealous of him…pathetic huh?

I don’t have nicotine cravings anymore and physically I actually feel really good. But will this deep seated feeling of deprivation ever go away??

September 10, 2013 at 11:10 am
(22) Max says:

i stopped 11 days ago (August 30th). i started going back to training (MMA) and trust me it does not get better than this. i smoked for 17 years (started at 15-16 yrs old) and always been in sports (hockey, martial arts) but doing those sports without smoking is the best. also the birth of my child helped me too. i thought quitting alot of times before, but this time was the right time. to all you smokers trying to stop. please don’t give up, you will stop eventually. the evil cigarettes are ruining not only you but your loved ones. you will stop because you need to stop. cigarettes does not bring happiness nor money (lol).

September 12, 2013 at 12:18 am
(23) lagwag says:

Wow…. I gotta say. I’m soooo glad there are other people out there having the same problems with this addiction. Today is exactly 2 months of no smoking. I had quit for 10 months exactly. To the very day. 10 months… Took a cigarette out of a coworkers pack and smelled it. From filter to tip. It was a “marlboro” red. Aromatic, smooth, sensual….. Yup. I smoked it. That turned into…. Buying little cigars.. That turned into bumming more smokes.. That turned into a pack every two days.. Then a pack a day. You see where this is going. Where was I……. Ah yes. 2 months today. The more I think about it the more I can see how this could turn out. I smoke 1 cigarette and think…”Gross… That was disgusting… Why did I ever start smoking?” Then when I wake up in the morning it will turn into just 1 smoke on the way to work…. AAAAAHHHHHHHHH VICIOUS CYCLE BE DAMNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyhoo, I’m 30 years of age. Started around 15 or 16 years old…. There is some advice I can give. Work out.. Work out every day. Run. Jog. Swim. Hike. Make crazy paper plate masks with your children and pretend your taking over the planet… Run some more. Jumping jacks. Climb a tree and figure out how your going to get down. Ride a bike uphill. Do a handstand. Do a one-handed handstand. Take a deep breathe and hold it in for as long as you can the slowly let it out. Say…. That’s not so bad after all. Oh yeah.. Drink LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER. Replace everything you drink (coffee, wine, alcohol, juice, etc.) with WATER!!!!!!! Try to drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day. So, if you weigh 150 lbs. try to drink at least 75 ounces of water a day. I hope this helps somebody. I came here for help, got some, and gave some I hope. Good luck to everyone! I know it sucks but so does smoking. LET’S SUCK TOGETHER!!!!! LOL…. sorry it’s late…..

September 16, 2013 at 10:56 pm
(24) gem says:

I smoked today after 5 days i feel awful now

September 17, 2013 at 8:48 pm
(25) Christopher says:

Hey all..

Spent the last week off of smoking now, smoked for 10 years 20 a day, i’m 25. I quit for health reasons and because i’m in the army and my fitness has fallen due to smoking more.
My cravings are really high right now and i have excessive energy and hyperactive. I really hope they go away and i don’t want to smoke as 1 will lead to another. It is so hard but it will get better (i keep telling myself) I have been very close to going back to smoking.. I will not let the nicotine craving win. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL IT’S SO HARD!

September 18, 2013 at 12:49 am
(26) pat says:

Well,all of you who are reading this must be a recovering nic-o-holic.I quit for 3 weeks smoke some watching football and it carried on into the whole weekend but it wasn’t menthol like I had always smoked.
I told myself I will never smoke another mentol in my life.
I smoked regular which I really really do not like so it helped somewhat
because after I left the person house I was visiting I didn’t smoke anymore.I just bummed them . Since I don’t like regular I wasn’t going to spend good money for something I really didn’t like.
But more than any of the more obvious reasons,bad teeth,you stink and your skin looks dehydrated they were hurting me physically like my lungs
were inflammed,and that elephant was starting to put his foot down on my chest.
I still don’t know if I quit soon enough but it was time..

September 21, 2013 at 10:53 pm
(27) Jac says:

Hey back again, 3 months in and I reckon I’m feeling worse to be honest. I am trying to think of good reasons not to go back ( of course there are heaps), but hubby and I are now not talking because I have been behaving like a crazy psychotic wench who hates pretty much everything.

I can’t take much more of the moodiness, the endless feeling of emptiness that no amount of nibbles or coffee can fill. And yeah yeah exercise is great and all, but only while you are doing it. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

I actually think I’m going nuts.

September 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm
(28) nathan says:

I smoked from age of 14 to 35 then quit for two years, then after 1 or 2 at pubs, started again. First hiding it, then after about 3 months and lots of guilt to my children, I came clean with them. Now I have quit again, and am at about 2 months. All I want to do is smoke. I have no life now, and miss the smoking friends :( but smoking will kill me… But a lonely life will also kill me… Is this depression, or have I just give up giving up ? :(

September 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm
(29) Maxime says:

I started smoking when I was 13 or 14, with my best friend at the time , we used to literally find cigarettes, one at a time and smoke them together , before cigarettes we tried to smoke tea , different herbs as well rolled in papers, it was disgusting. This wasnt so bad since it was really ponctual , I remember we used to smoke about 3 cigarettes in three different time. I guess I was young and curious about it, I smoked a couple cigarettes a year until I started smoking regularly, like everyday when I was 16.

I then started to smoke regularly (many per day) upgrading my consumtion of tobacco years after years, I grew up worried that I would visit the doctor one day and he would tell me that I have lung cancer or some other tobacco-related disease. I finally quit a year ago …I’m 28 year old, and I have smoked regularly for 11 years. I have been tobacco and nicotine-free for over a year now.

The reason why I stumbled upon this page is because I have googled ‘I wanna have a cigarette after i,ve quit for 1 year’

You need to free yourself from tobacco , this is the key, you need to not want it at all anymore, otherwise you’ll always end up going back to good ol’ cigarette up and smoking again until you die from your miserable habit.

I have been not smoking for a year , the first few weeks were harder , then it got easier, it is not an urge anymore, it’s more of a sneaky beasst that reminds you that you want/need something your body cannot give you….

And these days I am kinda depressed a little bit (autumn makes me feel like that) and I feel like I miss cigarettes , as if anything would get easier with it, that’s absurd, but I still struggle.

Thanks

September 26, 2013 at 8:34 am
(30) Chris K says:

Been clean for about 3 months now. Still going strong, all my friends smoke and I can actually sit in a room while they are all smoking, although I get the occasional flash to have one, it quickly goes away with my willpower. I know that if I only have one, I am cooked. I quit for 1 full year last time, and it only took one cigarette. Was awhile before I bought my 1st pack again (bumming from friends) but I did startup eventually full time smoker.

September 29, 2013 at 2:25 am
(31) Dani says:

I have been a smoker for 23 years ever since I was 16. The only time I “quit” was when I was sick and for both of my pregnancies. That was temporary because I still thought about and craved it. I stopped smoking 14 weeks ago. How I did it was – I envisioned myself being a non smoker. I repeated saying out loud I’m a non-smoker. I also wrote out a list of all the benefits and put it on top of the shelf where I would usually have my pack and bought sugar free candy. I stay strong for my children. I want to be around to watch them grow up. That’s honestly my biggest motivation It feels great being in control of this instead of the other way around. Good luck all :-)

September 29, 2013 at 10:46 pm
(32) Larry R says:

I am 64 yrs. old and quit smoking about 5-1/2 years ago after smoking for 41 years. I tried a popular pill but found it gave me insomnia and I tossed the rest of the prescription away after two weeks. The last thing you need while going through with drawl is not being able to sleep. As an ex-smoker I firmly believe that cold turkey is the best and only way to succeed. I still have an occasional dream/nightmare that I was smoking again and wake up relieved that I don’t. As for the cravings, I don’t think they ever totally go away but they now come only occasionally and are easy to manage. They are more annoying than difficult. Don’t give up, the cravings do become less frequent and easier to manage. Keep busy and the only thing you really need to succeed is the desire to be free of this horrible addiction…PS – my wife still smokes, in the house, so there are really no valid excuses as to why you can’t do it…

September 30, 2013 at 9:01 pm
(33) Bob S. says:

Today is day 17. It has been very unusual because all I smell is cigarettes all day long. There are no other smokers in the office where I work.

I started smoking in 1975 and I quit for 5 years in 2007. I thought I had the addition whipped and decided to start smoking “Only if I’m having a drink”. Let me tell you, that leads to smoking a pack a day and now back to fighting these crazy cravings. I pray this is the last time I go through this. Best of luck to everyone who quits smoking. You are heroes.

October 4, 2013 at 6:06 pm
(34) kevin dunne says:

ive been free of cigs for 5 weeks ive never felt so rough in my life but I know things will get better. I cant go back to smoking,not now ive gone throu this. good luck everyone stay strong

October 13, 2013 at 11:29 pm
(35) Gemma says:

I quit just over 3 months ago, and after the first two weeks have found it easy. I’ve had a little depression, but have not wanted a cigarette. I did a lot of preparation mentally, reading The Easyway by Allen Carr, and NTAP (Never Take Another Puff). NTAP can be found free online. I then quit cold turkey. The first three days were crap. Colours and light too bright. Sounds too loud and grating. Agitated and annoyed. Then the next two weeks were sad, but not really physical – more a feeling. Then it got steadily better and better. Now I can’t really believe I spent 18 years of my life smoking so many cigarettes, and I don’t miss them, or mourn for them. Good luck people. It’s the smartest thing you can do, and please don’t believe the hype that it never gets better and it’s impossible to quit. The cynic in me thinks it is likely this is a myth perpetuated by the niccotine replacement companies and the tobacco companies to keep you in their clutches.

October 22, 2013 at 2:27 am
(36) vishal says:

Hi,
dont know why i searched the google first thing in the morning today. I have smoked for 15+ years. I have tried, succeeded and failed to quit smoke for over 100 times. the best was 6 months last year. This time it is almost 3 months now that I havent had a smoke. I truly envy people who says they only smoke 1 ciggerrete in eve or who smokes only when they drink. God has created some easy things so difficult for some people and some difficult things so easy for others. No matter what my mind says to cheat me, if I smoke 1 ciggerrete today, in one week time I am back to 20 even if I have to face the headache. May god help me and others who want to quit. What works for me is to understand the cause and emotional pull that pushes me to smoke, so now I am working on the cause and not the symptoms. All the best to everyone.

October 25, 2013 at 10:01 pm
(37) Smokie Joe says:

I started smoking late in life. (I was 25, at least I think that’s late). I’ve tried quitting many time but always started again. A few weeks, a few months, a year once. I know I have an addictive personality. Or is it an addicted personality? Either way it’s a bitch. I go through weeks of hell just to start again. Usually it starts with just one. I can’t stand the fact I’m spending so much money, that I’m killing myself, that I stink, can’t breathe well, look like a lowlife and the rest thrown in yet it’s such a huge draw with so many triggers. Right now I’m 2 months into “quitting” yet I’ve smoked a cigarette once a week on a weekend night when I drink, the defenses are down and I’m stressed. Have I quit? considering I usually smoke 2 packs a day or does one smoke on a Friday just mean I’ve cut down? Drastically. Semantics. I know it’s come down to just plain stopping and NEVER smoking another or just give in and smoke. With me there’s no in between like some of the lucky cas smokers who just do it when they drink. Good luck to the rest of you!

October 30, 2013 at 6:24 am
(38) Hayley says:

It does get easier!

I have been a non smoker for a month. I sill think about smoking a lot, more than I would like to but I have been reading through my non smoking diary today (smoke free app) and I have noticed a huge difference.

Roughly summed up, in my experience:

Day 1 really really NEED to smoke
Day 4-5 NEED to smoke
Day 10 really really want one
Day 15 really want one
Day 20 really fancy one
Day 28 fancy one

Every time I think about smoking again I look at my diary and think I’m never going back to day 1.

It helped me to keep a diary and study myself as a recovering drug addict – because that is what you are. Instead of feeling sorry for myself every time I had a craving I would think ‘this is my body telling me it needs its fix, it’s hit, it’s drug but my mind is stronger than that. I not a addict’

Quitting is as easy as saying No! Are you in control of your action or is a drug?

I’m off to smell the fresh air, eat a tasty breakfast and enjoy my smoke free life.

Well done everyone else on the journey, keep up the good work.

October 31, 2013 at 5:36 am
(39) ernest says:

My wife and I both attended Smokenders, I managed to quit 2 weeks ago but my wife is at war with it, everyone and everything…she’s driving me dilly and says i’m insensitive and not helping her. She’s like a chicken without a head, wants to quit, then smoke two a day, then e cigarette, etc…if there’s someone out there who has a formula to beat the craving please email.

November 1, 2013 at 9:03 pm
(40) Lynda M says:

It is 6 weeks today that I have not smoked. I am so pleased as this is my first time at quitting after a 30 year habit. Up till now I have managed really well but the cravings I am having are incredible! I am never going to smoke again but I have to ask how long does the desire to smoke go on for????????

November 10, 2013 at 8:24 am
(41) quitsmoking says:

Hi Lynda,
Healing from nicotine addiction is a process of gradual release. Every time you manage a trigger to smoke without lighting up, you’re rewiring the circuitry in your brain. In time, events and emotions that used to cause you to crave cigarettes will be replaced by more appropriate responses, like eating when you’re hungry, resting when you’re tired, confronting issues that make you angry instead of lighting up. It takes time, but be patient and it will come. Here is an article that may help: http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/cravingsandurges/a/Four-Steps-To-Defeat-The-Urge-To-Smoke.htm

November 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm
(42) Ian M says:

Smoked for 50 years or so. Averaging 30 a day, more when drinking.

Gave up Last December 28th ( cold turkey) still get the urge to smoke.

For those new to quitting, put the money you would have spent in a jar or a sock draw or something. Pretty soon you’ll have a substantial sum and just looking at it and seeing it grow will help when the urge to smoke comes.

November 7, 2013 at 3:06 pm
(43) roly says:

I quit 3 days ago and ive been in a messed up mood, I dont even want to talk to anyone I feel like having one so bad but I just cant I made a promise im 26 and been smoking sense i was like 15 smoke about 15 a day.. i do feel better in just three days i feel cleaner i feel like i can breath better but i could tell i am really addictive to it i feel like a crack head without no crack this is tougher than what i thought. Thinking about signing up to a gym see if that helps i guess..

November 13, 2013 at 2:48 pm
(44) Sian says:

I quit just over 3 months ago cold turkey had my bad days but this week I long for a cigarette why? According to my app I haven’t smoked for 103 day and thought I would be over this, I have had to talk myself out of buying a pack. Feel like I’m going insane hearing voices saying have one if you want and then another saying don’t do it!!! Will it ever pass I miss smoking, sad but true :0(

November 13, 2013 at 11:32 pm
(45) smokeysalad says:

I have stop smoking cigarettes nearly 2 months now. I went cold turkey and I got sick from time to time. Especially my chest feels a bit pain and mucus never stop. I successfully stop smoking cigarettes nor does vapour. Sometimes, when I crave it too much, in my sleep I dream of me smoking. That is kind of relief to for my crave. I hope everyone who is in smoking cessation keeps their spirit high. Never give up!! Work that $#@%!!!

November 20, 2013 at 5:02 am
(46) Anon says:

mrsg I know just how you feel, four months for me and still having terrible cravings. I suppose we just have to wait this out, good luck!

November 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm
(47) Martin says:

4 weeks for me I was ok till 2 days ago when I got this nicotine urge again it feels like Ive gone back to day 3 again as that is how it feels right now, I wonder if second had smoke can spark the nicotine receptors in your brain, I would try not to be around smokers for a while if you can if at all possible.

Keep it going people don’t waste the time and effort you have put in, the moment you put a cig in your mouth you will regret it, and you know it.

Im still on Champix that got 1 weeks supply left :/

December 8, 2013 at 10:31 pm
(48) John says:

Hey Guys…just wanting to post on here cause I’m pretty bummed out. Except for one slip up at a local bar, I quit 6 months ago. Yet, I just got a terrible craving for one, probably the worse I’ve had in months, and I can’t help but wonder if I’d rather live with the feeling of not having them anymore for the rest of my life, or just die a young/painful death, but at least be happy during what time I do have left. That’s the dilemma I’m in right now. I’ve heard it gets easier…but how much easier? I’m tired of being angry/depressed all the time.

Well..now the cravings starting to subside..and I’m starting to realize why I’m going through this again. I’m not going to slowly kill myself. Keep your chin up, ex smokers, its worth it. And just think, maybe you can inspire other people to quit too, and save a life in the process. That’s one of the main things that motivates me. The look on people’s faces when I tell them I quit. Yes, John, the chain-smoke-a-pack-and-a-half-in-one-night guy, actually quit. If I can do it, you can too!

December 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm
(49) betty says:

I read Allan Carr’s The Easy Way which means you go cold turkey.
I smoked 15-20 a day for 20+ years. I’m at 11 weeks now and going strong. The book gets you to think of how you’re gaining freedom, not giving something up.
Good luck folks. :)

December 16, 2013 at 6:21 am
(50) Will says:

I stopped smoking just over a month ago. Do I feel better for it…. Hmmm
First couple of weeks were easier than I expected. Next 2 weeks were a little difficult but nothing I couldn’t handle.
This week, throat is closing, jumping at the slightest thing, feeling short tempered, mind wandering off into distant smoking related places whilst trying to work, can’t be bothered to cook so eating out more which means I am not saving any money from quitting. So why stop?

I don’t wheeze myself awake anymore.
I don’t miss parts of a TV programme / film nipping out for a quickie.
I don’t miss parts of a conversation (that carry on regardless of your presence) whilst out with friends and have to go outside to smoke
I don’t smell (well maybe not of tobacco :) )
I actually think it is an antisocial habit.
And the main reason that stops me from having one is….

I WOULD HAVE TO DO ALL OF THIS AGAIN and I know it will get easier with time.
I am determined to stop. I do feel better for it, honestly. I can do things I wasn’t able to do before because I decide what I do and when I do it and not have to take a break to get a fix.
I am proud of myself for getting this far and think that as I didn’t have one yesterday then I won’t today.. No point. I didn’t die from not smoking but may die if I continued to smoke.

It is possible the one and only time in your life that you can say.

I AM PROUD TO BE A QUITTER!!!

December 17, 2013 at 2:04 am
(51) Zahir says:

I’ve been smoking for the past 14 years since the age of 18 and I never had the will to quit because I really enjoyed my cigarettes everyday. It always stayed to a maximum of 7 cigarettes a day; the average would be 4-5 a day.

I thought about quitting multiple times but had the strength to resist the urge of smoking after few hours. I’m not sure what gave me the will to quit this end of year. Probably all the reasons that accumulated not quitting all those past years.

Today I am writing this note and it’s been a week since I threw away my last cigarette. I still feel cravings like 2 or 3x a day but I’m coping with them. Experts say that after 2-3 weeks the urge will not be there anymore.

Here are few ways I prepared myself to resist smoking:
1. I wrote “I’m your worst enemy” on my last cigarette and contemplated it before throwing it away few hours later.
2. I keep a Quit Smoking Log on my phone, so I can write something about my cravings whenever they hit me and try to elaborate what I feel during these harsh moments.
3. I break my everyday routines in a sense that I change my lunch and dinner times and add some more silly activities throughout the day at work in order to avoid that precious smoke break time.
4. I brush my teeth around 5 times a day every time I eat something and this results in breaking the urge of having a smoke after a snack or coffee.

I must agree that the first day was terrible. I could not concentrate at all, kept looking at my watch. I got irritated the whole day and drank around 3 liters of water that day. This is what happens when you go Cold Turkey. Now I feel much better.

The only thing I dread now are the parties that I attend to because it’s hard for me not to smoke when I drink. I think for such parties I’ll get a small cigar instead of buying a whole pack of cigarettes to avoid starting that habit again. What do you guys think of this? How do you resist smoking when you drink?

December 22, 2013 at 5:34 pm
(52) Tom says:

Oh Zahir … do yourself a favor, and DON’T get that cigar. The problem is nicotine addiction. One puff, and the “little monster” starts all over again.

I smoked 26 years, tried to quit several times. Finally did with patches, and a mild prescription of Diazopam, which tremendously helped with the irritability. My doctor was all to glad to give them to me, but a very low dose. I stayed quit 7.5 years, then my nephew came to live with me. He was a beer drinker (which I like as well), and I had caught the summer “crud”. He smoked menthol. After about 7 brews, I thought, why not smoke a couple menthol, it’ll help with the chest congestion. HA!! Slowly but surely, I started back. Within 2 weeks, I was smoking a pack a day again. I could not believe what I had done to myself. I smoked 3 more years. Then, I purchased Alan Carrs Easy Way program. Honestly, it really helped. I was convinced I would do it again, but dreaded those “little monster” attacks. I stayed with it, realized it for what it was. Now, Clean car, clean breath, clothes don’t smell. The first gathering I went to (about 2 weeks after I quit), I drank O’Dules non alcoholic beer. Had no problems, although many were smoking around me.
Once again, be proud of yourself. They are more addicting than any drug, and that’s been proven with MANY studies. You CAN do it, and you’ll be so proud of yourself. Don’t be a fool like I was, and think some years later “just one” won’t hurt. It will start all over again, I can assure you.

Hang in there folks, stay true to yourself. It DOES get better, and you CAN do it!!

Peace – Merry Christmas to all…

January 6, 2014 at 3:22 am
(53) Jacob says:

Today is my sixth day after quitting. I had smoked for 18 years. I am using willpower. I have the cravings. I am not going to give up. I have had enough of this cancer agent. Those who are feeling the same, lets soldier on. We will win the war.

January 10, 2014 at 12:10 pm
(54) Ohio X smoker says:

To all that have quit congrats :) not smoking for one day is better than never trying at all. Ive been a smoker for 17 years and quit for the 3rd time in November of 2013. This is my second longest attempt and I feel oddly more committed to the process this time. I didnt quit with patches or gum, I never attended a class or told anyone of my choice. I really just kept talking to myself about it. Here is what I know after all those discussions with myself.

I LOVE smoking its not a joke or a pretend relationship, I am throughly and utterly in love with smoking. I cant tell you how excited I get when I take that first hit in the morning and those long deep draws that seem to fire up the blood and start the day.

I Love my family more and I know the problems smoking can cause and to think that my smoking will in any way signal to my little boys that its ok for them to pick up the habit is enough to avoid it. I discovered though that wasnt enough. I could always just hide and smoke so I needed more.

I want to save money, not only do cigarettes cost money, they often increase other expenses in your life such as insurance and the number of times you go to the doctor a year to name a few.

January 10, 2014 at 12:12 pm
(55) Ohio X Smoker says:

Cont…

I want to feel like Im in control of my life I knew that I was an addict when I would choose to be late for important things to make sure I had a pack of cigarettes. I knew I was an addict when I couldnt fathom attending an event without first figuring out where I was going to smoke if this took too long. I centered my life around smoking. Its one thing to tell friends you love smoking and you can quit at anytime its another to actually prove it.

So that was it I knew that I loved smoking but I wanted to show my own personal strength, to show my love for my family and my desire not to waste money more.

I didnt set a date this time like suggested and I didnt tell anybody the day I stopped. I simple told myself when Im ready take the cigarette in your hand and finish it. Take whatever is in your pack and pitch them and walk away. Tell yourself you can start back anytime you would like and time you want. Instead of telling myself I can quit anytime I want I told myself not to worry anytime its more than I can handle its ok to quit quitting and smoke if thats really what I want to do.

January 10, 2014 at 12:13 pm
(56) Ohio X Smoker says:

cont….
I went 3 days without smoking and I caved and bought a pack of cigarettes. I couldnt believe I bought them and for about 2 hours I just looked at the pack knowing deep down I would smoke so I did I smoked 2 cigarettes fast. Then I hid my pack of cigarettes so nobody would see. I still had not told anybody I quit smoking but I think others had started to notice that guys doesnt smell like a cigarette today. I smoked one more cigarette from that pack and then I said its ok to smoke but if I really wanted to be a smoker why do I feel so guilty about smoking? I was at a gas station alone when I told myself that…..I threw the cigarettes in the trash and havent smoked since, that was right at 2 months ago.

I get the urge to smoke on occasion, like right now but Ive found that searching out others in the struggle helps. Sharing a story or reading a story helps. The urge to smoke will often last less than a minute and finding another way to cope with that minute is all it takes. I may smoke again I dont know its on the table if I want it nobody is stopping me from smoking how can they. Im the only person who can choose not to smoke and thats a choice I make everyday because I know how hard it was to make it the choice to begin with. I know how hard it is to gain control with my choice and with that my minute is up and I can go on with my life. I hope my story is helpful, I know sharing it was helpful to me. I found this thread while dealing with my minute Happy 2014!

January 17, 2014 at 10:34 pm
(57) Neil says:

Hi,

Just been reading through all the comments as wanted to see how long the cravings lasted for really. Im 32 years old started smoking off and on from the age of 12 -13 and regularly from the age of 16 at an average of 15 cigarettes a day.

Ive tried to quit a few times but never lasted longer than a day. Even this New Year made a resolution to stop and only lasted 4 hours!!! But on Tuesday gone smoked my last cigarette and was determined that was going to be my last one and I have now gone 5 days without having one.

From my own experience the 1st day was the hardest as I was constantly craving and thinking about having one but each day has got easier and I feel that now I have managed to go 5 days I will never light another cigarette up again.

Ive read that people have been ill, bad coughs, flu like symptons, been stressed, losing their temper etc while trying to quit. Ive never had any of that ive been quite calm apart from a couple of really bad headaches.

I still crave a little bit but the craving is more like I could do with having one compared to the 1st day where the craving was I really anted one now if you know what I mean.

Ive quit without any aids of patches, e cigs etc as I don’t really believe in all that, I was just wondering do the cravings eventually go away 100% or will you always feel like you could do with one etc.

January 18, 2014 at 5:16 pm
(58) Jessica says:

It’s so weird…
I just read someone else’s comment that said exactly what I was feeling.

I feel a sadness so deep like a dear friend has died.
I’ve managed to go a week..
It’s easier while I’m at work. Busy.
But here’s the weekend… nothing that I’m obligated to do.
And then I can’t even gather the strength to do laundry or anything I should do.
I am an extreme procrastinator.. and I used the cigarettes as my reward:
“I’ll have a smoke, then I’ll do some work. Once I’m done, I’ll have another cigarette” and so on and so on.

All I do is I get on the computer… go back to bed, eat, go back to bed, get on the computer, go back to bed, eat, go back to bed….. .cry

I suffer from depression, so this does not help… I have a useless life and not having my cigarettes (my only joy) is really ticking me off.
I wish i had money to go to a rehab place where they could cure me of everything…. teach me to live a normal, happy, healthy life.

January 30, 2014 at 10:35 pm
(59) James says:

Started on weed at 28 then the nicotine followed now 57 and 3 years ago had a pacemaker installed had 3 months off and got back on the weed stopped smoking weed in Sept 2013 stopped nicotine in Dec 2013 so it’s day 59 and apart from a sore throat that is really pissin me off i’m amazed that i actually have done the seemingly impossible which is to stop and stay stopped for more than 2 or 3 days it’s the 12 step way “day at a time” and that’s how it has happened 59 single days one after the other and this annoying sore throat will eventually clear up but it will be my reminder of the great things that await me if i light up just 1 uno single ciggy again and of course there is the pacemaker which didn’t come from licking icy poles like so many i have tried and smoked many times before but this time for me i have the one thing i don’t feel i have had before i have “THE WANT” to succeed “a day at a time”

January 31, 2014 at 9:35 pm
(60) henry says:

I am 53 years, smoking for 35 years, recent 7-8 years at least a pack and half a day and before that one pack a day.. tonight is 5th month quitting smoking.. no craving for cigarette at all.. I Could not believe I can live without cigarette.. I experienced healthy lung without cigarette… because of enjoyment of having healthy lung I will never smoke again …I do not want to loose this great feeling and enjoyment.. just 2-3 first moths are difficult for heavy smokers to quit.. life without cigarette is much better.. I have no coughing / mucus at all.

February 4, 2014 at 1:18 am
(61) Jocelyn says:

I have smoked for the last 16 years of my life. I am going on day 14 since my last cigarette. Even though my physical urges are gone the mental urges come and go often. Now I spend my time thinking about how boring outings and vacations will be without my cigarettes. I wonder what I will do while hanging out with friends or while sitting on my beach chair. This is a terrible way to think since I know that I have to quit no matter what. I have never suffered from asthma a day in my life until now. I know it was provoked by the cigarettes. Now I have to worry about having asthma attacks while I am home, out, or exercising. I always have to make sure that I have my rescue inhaler. As much as I love smoking I do not think it is worth all this trouble and agony. What I am going through now really sucks. I hope this is not long term. Well, regardless of how I am feeling about the asthma….I still crave cigarettes and I miss them dearly. I really feel like life is not worth living without them. No matter how I currently feel, I will continue on my journey to healthier living. Knowing that I will hopefully make it to watch my grandchildren grow up makes it all worth it. Stay strong everyone…this feeling of deprivation will hopefully go away at some point.

February 4, 2014 at 5:18 am
(62) Colin says:

Gave up smoking on the 6th december 2013, still going strong,
I smoked 3 packs a day for over ten years,
If I can go this long I know I will never pick up another pack of cigs again,

I was on hoilday a few weeks ago, and this guy was standing next to me and boy all I could smell was the smell of smoke, I turned to my wife who is always been an no smoker and said, did I smell like that?? and she turned to me and said YES,OMG That smell has been with me since that day,

To you all, quit is the right thing to do, dont smell like an ash tray

February 10, 2014 at 5:14 am
(63) Katrena says:

Hi, really enjoyed reading all the comments so thought I would input too.
I am 57 now and smoked for 42 years, I absolutely loved and it and was hard out addicted. it is 2 months next week for me without a ciggie although I am using e cigarettes, I definitely could not of done it without them, I went absolutely mental at the beginning and still crave but I think it is now more the habit of missing them so much.
Like the other person I really just took to my bed at the beginning! still hard as but slightly better now! too scared to start again I just couldn’t go through it again.
My advice only to Hard out addicts is to try e cigarettes.
Good luck everyone from NEW ZEALAND

February 10, 2014 at 10:17 pm
(64) Rainy says:

I was diagnosed with lung cancer Nov. 25 ,2013 , the upper half of my left lung was removed Nov. 27 ..The pain and fear is unbelievable and I sit here craving a cigarette ! Don’t worry , I would never touch 1 again …it just shows how addictive mentally and physically it is …I am so mad that I smoked for 40 years thinking that I was invincible ! With all this cold weather I can’t even get out to do the one thing that has always made me feel better …walking.. So i sit here praying that the weather changes and that my cravings lessen so I can start to be me again. I pray that anyone who reads this will gather the strength needed to stay away from cigarettes and get on with their lives..Peace..

February 11, 2014 at 9:02 am
(65) jason says:

hi people! just a little note to help you all trying to give up smoking.me and my girlfriend have never been able to give up for more than a day unless we were ill etc,but since the 1st feb 2014 we have both been using e cigs,and haven’t had a single puff of a real ciggie.we cant believe it! really feeling a lot of benefits already!!we plan to cut nicotine content of e liquid to zero and then stop the ecigs.wish we had tried this years ago.

February 11, 2014 at 6:29 pm
(66) Tess says:

I ahve been smoking 25 years, I have been smoking roll ups for the last 10 years. It looks very bad, smells and just is so wrong. I resented how it made me feel and I was mentally ready to give up.

I gave up on the 25 Sep 13, I used a Vaping pen to help me give up, I worked my nicotine intake levels to the lowest level they did, I have used the vaping pen but had nothing at all for 2 weeks. I think the vaping pen looked like a pipe lol so I gave that up. I am still mentally against smoking but my body does crave, mentally I dont want one and never will again.. This is a 25 year habit and will take a while to break. Stick with it and be strong peeps.. GL

February 12, 2014 at 9:46 am
(67) Margaret says:

Hey Rainy,
Yes, you did give me the strength to stay away. I’m 43, it’s been one year and eleven days since I quit, after 30 years smoking, and today I was crying like a child feeling that I should feel better by know, and I don’t, and that it was insane… Then I came here and read all the comments, including yours, and all I can say is: thank you and keep up, everybody. I will.

February 14, 2014 at 11:36 pm
(68) Trying again says:

I have not had a cigarette for 6 days still want one but not as bad as day one. I am feeling angry and depressed and I wish it was easier. I have quit before I made it 2 years. A very stressful event caused me to pick up the habit and have tried on and off for the last 3 years to kick the habit again. I feel determined to do it this time and I loved all the comments and well wishes from everyone. It helps to hear words of encouragement and stories of success. Good luck to you all.

February 15, 2014 at 6:20 am
(69) Jimmy says:

I haven’t had a dart for about 50 days now, But tonight i went to get some milk at the shops and bought a packet. I haven’t smoked any they are just sitting on the bench but i am unsure how to deal with this.
I have been using the electronic cigarette for the past 50 odd days and haven’t had hardly a craving but i really want to kick that as well. Maybe i should keep going with the electronic cigarette for a while longer, as i know i am going to have to go cold turkey at one stage or another. I really like the idea of being able to leave the house grab my wallet, keys and phone and not have to bring a packet of smokes or the electronic cigarette, But i realise its going to be a mission. Im 22 and have been smoking for about 5 or 6 years. Will it be easier now than later or is it the same for me as for someone who has been smoking for half there life? e.g. 20 years+
Any feedback would be great, Thanks :)

February 16, 2014 at 11:15 pm
(70) Rainy says:

Hi Margaret ..I am glad it helped ..and hearing your reply has helped me also….No I haven’t touched a cigarette and yes I do cry ….A Lot !!! No matter how hard this is I know how strong I really am , to make it through the pain of the surgery , and I know in my heart I will never make my body go through that again.. Strength and love to everyone out there fighting for control and health . Peace

February 19, 2014 at 10:26 am
(71) nosmokingchampion says:

Hey everyone.

I quit smoking around 2 months ago and it was my first time trying after spending half of my life smoking.

Yes everyone is craving cigarettes but we can fight this. We strong and not alone.No matter what I will never ever turn back to smoking.
Because smokers die really hard I saw how and I swear I will not die like that.
Neither will you!! Please people fight it do not smoke

February 22, 2014 at 2:44 pm
(72) Michelle says:

Thanks to all of you for posting. I am 51, smoked for over 30 years. I quit while I was really sick with the flu (cowards way out I suppose) at the beginning of Jan. and slept through the first 3 days of the painful physical withdrawl. I figured “what the hell, why continue smoking now that I haven’t for 3 days; the hardest part is over”. (Ha ha, it has been pretty hard ever since). I have been through all of the withdrawl symptoms (except severe cravings first 3 days), plus, my arms have begun (since last week) to be continually numb-more so at night when I am in bed, all night long and wakes me up. Has anyone else here gone through that? How long does it last? I have read about other quitters who had extremity numbness, but no one really says how long it lasts. I am considering not going to bed anymore, because it is just an uncomfortable futile ordeal. I figure I can just more or less pass out for a few hours when I get too exhausted to go on. I am one of the lucky unemployed, so I have no job at present to be awake for. Any suggestions or encouragement? I would truly rather smoke my faithful pack-a-day than have numb arms for he rest of my life. Thank you all again for your posts-they are helpful to me and I appreciate you all.

February 22, 2014 at 6:07 pm
(73) elaine ramsden says:

hi all you none smokers I am on day 6 of quitting and feel better already I am on the champix but I am worried about if I will get the gravings back after I come off them

February 25, 2014 at 3:36 pm
(74) Teri Jane says:

Today is 33 days off cigarettes after a 30 year – pack and a half per day habit.

I’m sooooo grouchy today. I Googled “33 days smoke free and am so mad” and I ended up here.

Rainy, your surgery was on my birthday. I’m so sorry you had to go through that but so so so happy you’re not smoking.

Both of my parents died from lung cancer but I still kept smoking.

I’m on the patch, but kind of want to try the eCig.

I’m just at my wits end today. I’m sooooo mad at Justin Bieber and I’ve never even heard his music – I barely know who he is but I just hate him. That’s how irrational I am.

February 26, 2014 at 1:04 am
(75) Martin says:

I tried loads of aids in my bid to give up smoking, having smoked for 28 years it has been tough.

Nicotine replacement never worked for me, I tried one type of drug I forget its name zyban I think, it started to work but when I increased the dosage I suffered from anxiety attacks so I stopped the medication and carried on smoking.

Then I was ill for a week with the flue and did not feel like smoking at all I gave up easily for 3 months, never even thought or wanted a smoke no urges, but one night for a reason I cannot explain I had one with a friend, big mistake as I started again. I then tried without success to give up again.

Then I found Champix :) at first it did not have any sort of effect two weeks into the course I had noticed a slight reduction of smoking but still had strong urges to smoke, after 1 month I began to think it would not work then one day I was in a place where I could not smoke and found I did not feel like a smoke at all.

I do still get the odd urge for a smoke its different from when gave up before and never even looked a smoke as this time I still get cravings, but they weaken over time and I become stronger

Since then I’ve had the odd strong urge but the longer I stay off them the better I feel and knowing in myself I would not want to destroy all that hard work of repairing my body, my body is cleaning itself which is great and keeps me going strong.

I’m not sure if tiny amounts of nicotine from passive smoking as I walk past smokers keeps the urges coming by hitting the nicotine receptors but I try to stay away from smokers.

So if you have given up the horrible dirty habit, keep at it. Don’t go back. Keep your body clean and save your money.

One other thing I was in the garden once my little girl who was 2 was out there with me, she started to put her fingers to her mouth as if she was smoking and smiling at me, how crazy one major reason to give up, I never want her to spoil her body with horrible black TAR.

February 28, 2014 at 9:36 am
(76) julie says:

Ok I’ve have one big fear after 9 months as a non smoke I could kill for one everyday the urge can be so strong but the I look at the photos of my 3 month old grandson and know I did the right thing ,I know my daughter would not let me look after him as a smoker so for the need to hold and care for him I will do my best to stay a non smoker . love my grandsonX

March 4, 2014 at 10:24 am
(77) NavySailor says:

I smoked at least a pack and a half a day for over 10 years and am now 28. I haven’t smoked in 81 days. It’s important that everyone realize the reason that those urges haven’t disappeared is because you are confusing what you are actually “addicted” to. The nicotine itself is but a minor piece of the equation. The physical dependence on the drug itself is broken within a measly 48 hours. What you are now battling is mental conditioning. This is harder to break than any physical addiction.

Anyone that knows anything about psychology knows about Pavlov’s dogs. He would ring a bell prior to feeding them. He did this so often that all it took was the ringing of a bell and the dogs would salivate. They associated the bell with food.

Every time you used to smoke, for whatever reason, your brain was doing the same thing that those dogs did with the bell. It was associating the event (driving, success, failure, sex, 10 minute breaks) with the ACT of smoking. It wasn’t associating nicotine with those events, but the actual physical act of holding the cigarette in your hand and smoking. The behavior was becoming ingrained as a response to the outer stimulus.

Now the longer you do this, and the more often you do it, the deeper that association becomes. So you smoked for 15 years, and you smoked two packs a day? Well you associate a LOT with the act of smoking, and a LOT of things will cause you to “salivate” for one. While you may be able to distract yourself, and even if it’s been six months or a year since your last smoke, that event can still create the same desire regardless of how well you think you have it beat.

March 8, 2014 at 4:15 am
(78) Sofia says:

Today is a month since my last cigarette , I have smoked for15 years , I want to get pregnant so have decided to stop. I am not going to lie the first 3 weeks have been horrible but now I am felling a lot better. I changed from cigarettes to the vapour cigs for 3 weeks, then went to Allen Carr easy way clinic and I am a non smoker feel very good about it.

March 10, 2014 at 2:54 am
(79) SandMan says:

It’s been only 24 hours and my God, the urge to light that stick is turning me crazy. Almost lighted one but then put it back in the pack (my colleague offered me and I just could not resist – not blaming you Joe).

Wish she was here with me (for whom I started smoking) – have been a smoker since 1989 – my gal left me and cig has been there with me since. Just need a lot of courage and will power to do and I know I sure will do it. A few guys said “it depends on fate man!!!” but I say luck plays no part in whether you smoke or you quit smoking – (rather start living again).

Just pep me up guys…

March 12, 2014 at 7:50 pm
(80) Rick says:

I’ve haven’t had a cigarette in four months. Since the day of my heart attack. I’ve quit for 4 years twice, three years once, a year 4 times.
Still miss it even though I know better. Life is better than smoking!

March 13, 2014 at 2:11 am
(81) Sugata says:

I have stopped smoking completely on 25.2.14. after smoking for last 20 years. the craving is still there and the concentration shot to hell. Seems like a Void. Fighting it out alone. I shall not fail.

March 13, 2014 at 2:30 am
(82) CEL says:

I got some Chantix 2 years ago, and it was going to expire, and I didn’t want to throw away 175.00, so I had to take it. When I got it, I was motivated, but I didn’t take it. 2 years later, I really had no motivation,but I figured I had nothing to lose. I did not know if I would put cigarettes down on the 8th day. However, I did!

The biggest fear was withdrawals. However, the withdrawals are very, very mild on Chantix. There is NO reason to suffer when Chantix can help. It would be like needing surgery and opting to do it wide awake when one can be put under anesthesia! Why suffer needlessly?

I’m 26 days into my quit, and I do have cravings; however, they aren’t uncontrollable. What keeps me from smoking it knowing that Chantix blocks the nicotine, so you aren’t really smoking, so to speak, Therefore, there is NO reason to, because it would be pointless.

For those of you who are going cold turkey, perhaps see about getting some Wellbutrin. It’s supposed to help with the cravings. Also, if one needs something for the anxiety the first month or so, go for it.

I will be on Chantix for 6 months, and in that time I will work through every situation and trigger. Once I am off Chantix, then I really have to be careful, because then a cigarette will really be a cigarette! At least on Chantix if you slip, you aren’t getting any nicotine. Cigarettes are pointless without it! Apparently, that is where the flavor/taste comes from.

Good luck everyone!

March 18, 2014 at 11:16 am
(83) josh says:

I havent smoked in like 8 months…. I have had like a thousand attempts but this time i seem to of done it so if i can do it you can to … i was an addict for years 30 a day… i actually thought it was impossible for me to quit… But it isnt… About 6 months in you stop thinking about them completely…. ;) Maybe an urge evry so often but its rare for me now… ;)

March 19, 2014 at 4:36 pm
(84) Ali says:

Hey everybody
I’ve been quitting for almost 90 days i used to smoke up to 2 packs daily for 11 years started at age 12
Anyway when i started quitting i had the urge to smoke every single moment in my day , after eating at work at in my car everywhere but after few days you start losing that urge it only comes once or twice a day
After few week it literally comes once weekly and maybe sometimes less we are not addicted to nicotine we are addicted to habit we connected cigarettes with everything we love food , after drinking thats why we feel like we are missing a huge thing.
ANYWAY you will never ever regret quitting smoking quit it for your self first then for the people you love
One last thing start doing cardio at least walk for 1 hour daily that will help alot

Good luck everybody i wish the best for you enjoy your life , have fun and never back to smoke
Sry for my poor english 😁

March 20, 2014 at 12:40 pm
(85) Alan says:

It’s Day 1 –

I’ve tried many times in the past but I hope this will be it for good !

Smoking has been a friend and something I’ve truly enjoyed for many years. However, this friend has started to take a toll on my body. In the past, I’ve ignored the coughing etc .. but the wheezing, coughing and shortness have breath has finally giving me some hope to try and quit for good ! I hope my body can recover from the years I did harm to it by smoking.

Good-Bye my friend

March 20, 2014 at 3:15 pm
(86) Hayden Rose says:

Hi all, I have been smoke free for 1 week and 3 days initially I used an ecig, but at day four when I started spitting spots of blood I stopped with the ecig and when nicotine free. Im not going to lie this is hard, like really hard. I started smoking at 16/17 and im now 23, it really does help to know that people have been doing it three times as long and have still managed to kick it. I dont really know what to say here but im fighting a craving as I type. Honestly I feel depressed, I broke down in tears last night for no apparent reason, I havnt cried in years. I know I need to do this but im finding it so hard, I thought I was stronger than this. Chewing gum seems to help an I sone times go stand outside asif I was smoking but other then that I dont know what to do with myself.
Then I found this page and reading im not the only one going through this has made me feel a bit better ssif the load is now distributed. I know it will be worth it when I have extra years with my beautiful daughter.
Now I have one gum left that im gunna need in the morning so im gunna brush my teeth see if it help.
Thanks for all the help guys, these comments are vwry reassuring.
Good luck to everyone and myself cause I sure as hell need it.

March 26, 2014 at 7:45 am
(87) alicia says:

i am currently 16 years of age i have been smoking since i was 11 i smoke 10-20 fags a day will anyone please help me quit:/

March 26, 2014 at 3:03 pm
(88) AKHAN says:

This is what help me quitting

Cig is my best friend. We had spend lot of time togather last 17 years and to be honest i love cig. Cig is always there for me in my happiness,sadness and even in sickness. Cig is my best friened.

But, Cig is a friend who has no mercy for his best friend. Cig has no mercy on anyone it will take your heart out of your body and kill you . You think of cig as best friend and cig think of you as another victim.
Cig has one mission and that is kill you kill you kill you .

April 1, 2014 at 3:26 pm
(89) Michelle says:

I stopped smoking Dec. 22, 2013 so I have three and a half months without a cigarette. I smoked for over twenty years, since I was 16. I am sooo happy and thrilled that I have quit. I couldnt imagine going through a whole day without a cigarette but I am doing it one day at a time. I feel great and it is the best accomplishment ever!!!!!!!

April 6, 2014 at 6:35 am
(90) Freddy says:

I tried to quit smoking countless times. I am clean for 25 days now, and as I sit and type my lungs crave for that burn feeling of a cigarette, it got worse after 7 days, I hang on by breathing as deep as possible a few times, and eating 2 mg. Nicorette chappies. staying, busy helps a lot, change of routine happens to the good, and avoid confrontation completely.

April 9, 2014 at 11:07 am
(91) maria weisman says:

We are all in this together. Fighting an addiction that is perhaps the worst one to shed off our bodies. But it is only an addiction and we are stronger than it is, and smarter than it is. In fact, our addiction has no intelligence at all, none, zero. We are the boss and we should stay in control of our own bodies rather than giving in to a stupid mindless chemical.

The first 3 days are tough, but what’s 72 hours of discomfort in exchange for a lifetime of freedom? The first 3 weeks are much easier but still tough here and there, we feel better, breathe better, proud of ourselves for being in control.

The next 4-5 weeks are relatively easy, things get so much better, there is a life after smoking!

And here comes the tough part, perhaps the toughest of them all. That’s week 7-12 or somewhere around there, it’s not the same for everyone. That’s when your actual brain starts shedding off the nicotine receptors that you built up over years of smoking. And that’s the time when that feeling of emptiness and needing something returns full force.

Please hang on tight. Because if you make it through week 12, something will “click”, I promise, and you will now be finally free, and happy, and content, and needing nothing, including craving no nicotine at all. Please hang on through week 12 and discover the true freedom you will feel.

But the only way to do it is by staying away from all nicotine, no matter what kind, no nicotine at all. Otherwise, your torture will be prolonged forever.

On my way there myself, and I wish you all the best of luck. Stay away from all nicotine for 12 weeks and move on with a craving-free life!

April 9, 2014 at 12:02 pm
(92) podunkchik says:

Haven’t had a smoke in 10 days. I even went to happy hour last nite. I did buy a nice E-cig to help with the nicotine cravings. It helps a lot and I don’t smell like an ashtray. I didn’t buy the pack kind I bought the kind you add your own flavor of oil to it. I bought Blueberry Bubblegum. it’s so sweet I can’t hardly take a little vapor puff but it works on the nicotine cravings a lot. Been keeping busy and not doing the normal things that made me once want to smoke. My time on the phone had gone down to zero for the next month. Always had a smoke while I talked. Hang in there!!

April 11, 2014 at 9:51 pm
(93) Aliyeh says:

My husband and I were smoking for years. He was a heavy smoker, a pack + a day. We never tried quitting. Finally my husband had a heart attack. He quit smoking right away but unfortunately it was too late.
It is just 2 days I haven’t smoked. When the craving comes I read the comments and people’s experience and try to ignore it by making myself busy. I do it for my health and for my children.

April 15, 2014 at 8:01 am
(94) Germaine says:

I quit smoking 75 days ago after 45 years of smoking 25 cigarettes a day. I used Champix to quit. I would have never been able to do it without it. I still want to smoke every day. I wish that feeling would go away, but I do know that I have it beat as long as I don’t give in to that silly desire to just relax and light one.

April 20, 2014 at 9:32 pm
(95) INTP says:

There is a difference between “non-smoker” and “former smoker”. It may not sound fair, but the best someone who has once become addicted to smoking can hope for is to remain a former smoker. You will never be a non-smoker, which means the threat of a (seemingly random) craving will never be completely eliminated. There is a hypothesis which states you are safe from cravings when you are dead, but it has never been proven ;)

I am not trying to be harsh, but we need to be realistic. We will never be “home free”. Look at these comments where people had become former smokers for years, even decades, only to pick it up again. We improve our chances by successfully moving through the triggers, and each time gets a little easier. However, some triggers only show up in a blue moon. Those are the really dangerous ones.

I started smoking when I was 13, and quit when i was 44. I smoked about 30 a day for the majority of those years. I can tell you that what worked for me (and what continues to work) is the same thing I used to lose weight: I didn’t “try”. As soon as you say you are “trying”, you are done. You have given yourself the option of failure, and it is only a matter of time before you take it.

In essence, your best defense against relapse is to stop imagining there is some sort of “finish line” where you magically transform into a non-smoker. and start accepting what it means to be a former smoker.

Having said that… Although I can only speak from my own experience, it seems to me in these cases where the person is a year out and still having severe cravings every day, we aren’t getting the whole story. Cravings should be down to the “random” level, at that point.

At any rate… Just my two cents. I hope this resonates with and helps someone with a similar mentality to mine who lands here.

April 20, 2014 at 11:24 pm
(96) Jenny says:

I am 25 years old and quit smoking 2 weeks ago. I was a smoker for 14 years and loved my Marlboro Golds. They were always there for me to wake me and start my day, to help me digest after a good meal, to soothe me when I was stressed, to comfort me when I needed to relax and to help me sleep at the end of a busy day. My boyfriend doesn’t approve of me smoking and I’m tired of not being able to smoke in his car or to hear him grumble as I ran outside for a quickie smoke during a movie. It’s been hard without cigarettes, but I’m making it so far. The cravings are hard. The worst is when I’m with my friends or when I wake up in the middle of night and I just want to smoke so bad so I can go back to sleep. My period is at the end of the month and I’m scared to deal with PMS without my cigarettes to fight it. I’ve been eating carrots and popcorn like crazy. Wishing everyone luck!

April 24, 2014 at 6:08 am
(97) Dean says:

So, I have eventually joined the ranks of ex-smokers… 24 days today.. I just need to say, I don’t feel any different. I smoked an average of 25 cigarettes every day for around 30 years, I never had any major cough except when I got flu or a cold, which wasn’t often. Sure I had shortness of breath but so does anyone else my age compared to when I started. I don’t have any more energy than while I smoked. When do I start feeling physically better ?? I went with hypnotherapy so the cravings are not at all as bad as most, I actually don’t crave at all. I do feel better about myself not smoking, but I don’t feel any different physically !!

April 25, 2014 at 1:12 pm
(98) prats says:

i left smokin 4months back..befre dat i ws ocassionally smoking for 2 yrs …
bt as sudden i decided to stop…nd had a gr8 control over it…

May 6, 2014 at 10:00 pm
(99) Olddogg says:

I am 65 years old and until a month ago had been smoking 1-2 packs a day since I was 15. The change in my daily life has been brutal but soo worth it. Cold turkey was the only way to do this for me as I have been down the tortuous route of reducing consumption in previous efforts to stop. This just prolongs the agony and demotivates you carrying on as the cravings are just unbearable. I have managed to cope with the powerful urges with sucking strong tasting lozenges and deep breathing exercises. The need for these even have lessened gradually over the last two weeks so I am now confident I will never again touch a cigarette. That is the only way this can work for me as an addict.

May 9, 2014 at 3:25 pm
(100) Apryl says:

Best choice I’ve ever made was to kick the nasty habit of smoking. It controls you. Goodbye to the smokes, hello to the free world!

May 10, 2014 at 8:42 pm
(101) Bernie says:

Hi, After smoking for 33yrs I finally decided to quit 53 days ago. The first 2 weeks were a real battle but the cravings have gradually reduced. I have the occasional bad day like today, thats when I tend to check out how other quitters got through the tough times. This forum has been really helpful, I am very determind never to smoke again. I think looking after yourself and having rewards like weekend breaks away are terrific things to look forward to. These are the little luxuries we can now afford instead of throwing our money away on cigs. Thanks for all the tips and insights on your experiences.

May 10, 2014 at 11:01 pm
(102) kaka says:

i am 57and have done the stupid for 40+ years. i watched by while my Mother and Brother died from lung cancer. i have now decided i am done with them, i don’t want to die from smoking or complications from them. i quit on dec. 31, 2013. some days i rarely think about them (my sticks) and feel pretty damn proud of myself and other days i can’t stop thinking about them and feel like crap. definately one of my biggest challenges, but determined to succeed. happy to see so many trying to break the chains. lets all keep on keeping on. great job to all on our journey.

May 11, 2014 at 9:16 am
(103) Ruth says:

Its been 50 days off the smokes for me. I’ve been smoking since I was 12 until now 50. I smoked a pack a day, and I have to admit this is tough. Does this craving ever go away? I could deal with it for the first 3 weeks but it just gets worse now, almost bought a pack yesterday. The urges are worse now at day 50 than in the beginning. Everyone tells me I look better, pink hue in my skin, no coughing, my nose isn’t as stuffed, but I don’t feel better, in fact, worse. I had an Uncle that use to smoke 2 packs a day , I was a kid and laughed because he would carry a pack around with him to smell ( 20 years later)
I’m trying hard not to smoke, but very discouraged.

May 12, 2014 at 11:08 am
(104) Carlo says:

I Quit smoking 50 days ago after 7 Years of being slave in nicotine and today i cannot control the cravings so i decided to buy 1 pack of cigarette and try to take a puff expecting to get relaxed but unfortunately i cannot even take the smoke inside of my body and the smell sucks!!! So by that i think that the cravings now is only from my brain and my body don’t want it anymore!

May 15, 2014 at 10:19 am
(105) Kristin says:

According to a document I made for myself, I am 115 days (semi)smoke free. I say “semi” because I have the occasional cigarette if I am out and have been drinking (usually just once a week) towards the end of the night. The one positive thing I can say is that I don’t like the smell and I honestly feel better if I don’t have that one last smoke. However, this is still the most miserable time ever and I am still craving one practically every day. I know I have to completely get cigarettes out of my life, but having been a smoker for 22 years (1.5 packs/day), it is extremely hard as everyone knows. I know it’s for the best, but the psychological hold is strong with cravings and am 100% miserable. For those that have stopped longer, is this normal? Do you still have cravings?