1. Health

Terry Martin

Addicted to Nicotine Gum

By April 15, 2014

"I quit smoking 8 months ago, and I used nicotine gum to help me do it. I still chew the gum - I think I may be addicted to it! I only chew a couple of pieces of gum a day though...isn't that a lot better than smoking a pack of cigarettes every day?"

If used responsibly, nicotine replacement therapy has the potential to help you wean yourself off of tobacco products in a way that minimizes nicotine withdrawal.

Related:

Comments
June 12, 2007 at 1:26 pm
(1) Jane Church says:

I too am using the lozenges daily after 1 yr- have cut them down to 1/4 of the 2 mg.I feel its better than cigs but it does bother me. This is after 55 yrs of daily smoking.

June 13, 2007 at 6:35 am
(2) Kim Ireland says:

I am in the same boat. I quit smoking on Jan. 1st 2006, and here it is 1 year, 6 months later, and I am still on the lozenges, 4 mg. I seemed to have swapped one addiction for the other. I know that having the lozenges is better than the smoking ever was. But it does bother me that I am still adicted to something. I don’t know how to stop doing them. They seem take the edge off. Please tell me how I can help myself. Or remind me of the damage I could be doing to myself. If you all, find out something, good or bad, about this…please, Please let me know, too. I am praying for us all. Kim

June 19, 2007 at 11:35 am
(3) Julie says:

I am addicted to the gum as well and am thinking it is an oral addiction. After years of putting cigarettes in my mouth I have replaced them with the gum and that perhaps I should try the patch and see if that breaks the vicious cycle.

October 30, 2008 at 6:30 pm
(4) Barbara says:

I need help quitting commit lozenges

February 12, 2009 at 11:36 pm
(5) Sarah says:

I am also addicted to nicotine lozenges, except I still smoke once in a while. (Not at the same time.)They are giving me a bunch of cavities in my back teeth. I have been doing this for almost two years!!

August 27, 2009 at 1:53 pm
(6) Annie says:

Just quit the lozenges. I went to the dentist today and I have 5 stinking cavities. Not my normal dentist visit by any means. Luckily I’ve been smoke free for 3 months and now 1 day off the lozenges.

May 27, 2010 at 2:41 am
(7) Rich says:

I’m on the patch, it’s been a week so far
I feel so much better I don’t know how it’s going to work out in the long run ,but I know I will never ever again smoke that’s for sure
I want to live as long as I can I love my life and the people in it so good luck to all of you who are quitting I know it’s possible you cam do it just take the plung the water is a little cold at first but you can do it

June 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm
(8) JS says:

Just quit buying it. At 2 pieces a day, try running on a treadmill for 10 minutes when you want to chew a piece of gum. Try substituting regular gum instead.