I'll start with my favorite verse by Peter & Peggy Holmes from Out of The Ashes:
'Humility...Pride cometh before a fall. Smokers who think they have their problem "licked" often get a rude surprise. It would be false and foolish to think of myself as "cured." I have a life-threatening problems which, for this moment, is under control. But the minute I lose that healthy fear of smoking, the minute I become complacent, I am in serious trouble.'
I also have a few thoughts that I think are important.
- As I remember from my spring cleaning episode with the nicodemon...NEVER, EVER stop remembering why you quit, or why you want to stay quit. Those reasons will get you through almost anything.
- Know that there is never JO(just one). They travel in packs! I can't take credit for that one...
- Getting the right quit buddy is essential (((((Perk))))) I've found that the right quit buddies tend to gravitate towards each other and you just know it was meant to be! Just like the family around here!
- Be kind to yourself...little presents at milestones make a huge difference. The presents don't have to be things or cost a lot...you can meet new friends, meet old friends, call new and old friends, treat yourself to an afternoon of reading or practicing with the band...
- No matter how awful a situation is that you're going through, no matter how afraid, alone, depressed, or angry you feel...cigs will only add to your problem and make it soooo much more awful. Cigs do not comfort you. They only take away your control, dignity, and literally, your breath. Cigarettes have stolen my time before and I won't let them talk me into thinking that they're my best friend again. A best friend wouldn't make me stand out in the freezing cold, while the real people I love are inside!
Lastly, I want to thank my family here. I wouldn't have made it without my fellow sistas and bros. I hesitate to list, because I know I'll forget someone. But I'm throwing caution to the winds and doing it anyway! Thanks, huge sprinkles and admiration to Perk, Michelle, Lesly, Anna, E.B., Tammy, Suzzz, Sharon, LadyZolt, The Blonde Babes(Gaylene and Mikki), Rick, Anon, Larry, Irene, McMarathoner, Peggy, Kim, Pat, Bunchy, Harold, and Kathy.
We have a mighty fine family and together we are stronger!!!
Smoke Free since Jan 1, 2003