1. Health
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

Minimizing Holiday Weight Gain

Don't Put Your Quit Program at Risk


Updated November 25, 2011

Minimizing Holiday Weight Gain

Most people will gain a small amount of weight when they quit smoking. Due to temporary changes in metabolism, we can expect an upward shift on the scale of 5 to 10 pounds. Within a few months, quit-related weight will come back off again as long as eating habits haven't changed. For most of us though, using food as a replacement for smoking is tempting, and something we must to learn to manage as we move through smoking cessation.

The holidays present a special challenge, with all of the rich treats that go along with the season. If your quit program is new, take some time to set your priorities clearly in your mind before getting swept up in holiday celebrations that could put you at risk.

Don't Try to Lose Weight, But Don't Gain Either

Think maintenance as you go through the holidays, and use the 80/20 rule. If 80 percent of the meals and snacks you eat on a given day are healthy and in the right portions, you can allow yourself a few treats with the other 20 percent without throwing your diet out of whack.

Use the following articles from About.com Guides to come up with a plan of action that will help you avoid gaining weight as you enjoy the holiday season.

Safeguard your quit by thinking ahead. Remember, the key here is to manage your holidays smoke-free. Having a plan in place ahead of time will allow you to enjoy yourself while staying on track with holiday indulgences and your quit program.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

We comply with the HONcode standard
for trustworthy health
information: verify here.