Prepare for Success by Developing a Plan to Quit Smoking
By Terry Martin, About.com Guide
- Quit Smoking 101
- Benefits of Not Smoking
- Developing a Plan to Quit Smoking
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy
- Zyban (Bupropion)
Quit Smoking 101
From preparing for your quit date to managing the discomforts of nicotine withdrawal and beyond, the lessons in this section will walk you through smoking cessation, step-by-step.
- Lesson 1 - Our Reasons for Quitting
- Lesson 2 - The Will to Quit
- Lesson 3 - Benefits of Quitting
- Lesson 4 - Health Risks of Smoking
- Lesson 5 - Quit Aids
- Lesson 6 - Prepare for the Big Day
- Lesson 7 - Nicotine Withdrawal
- Lesson 8 - Stress and Weight
- Lesson 9 - Relapse Prevention
- Lesson 10 - Success Stories
Benefits of Not Smoking
From improved health and vitality to increased self-esteem, the benefits when we quit smoking are unlimited. Use this section to help you tip the scales on the value of quitting tobacco over continuing to smoke.
- After the Last Cigarette
- Why Should I Quit Smoking?
- The Benefits of Smoking Cessation
- The Pros and Cons of Smoking
- Readers Respond: Our Reasons to Quit Smoking
- 5 Key Reasons to Quit
- I Quit Smoking Because...
- EB's List of Reasons for Quitting
- Readers Respond: Improvements Since Quitting
Developing a Plan to Quit Smoking
Success with any challenge is due in great part to the planning we put into the task ahead of time. This holds especially true for smoking cessation, where the more you understand and prepare for the difficulties, the better able you'll be to maintain control and stay smoke-free.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy
Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT), also known as therapeutic nicotine provides ex-smokers with a measured dose of nicotine that is gradually reduced over time. There are a number of NRT choices available.
If you want to use a quit aid, but would rather it not contain nicotine, Zyban is a possible choice. Check in with your doctor to decide whether it's a good quit aid for you.
Chantix (Varenicline Tartrate)
Developed specifically for smoking cessation, this non-nicotine quit aid is available by prescription only. Your doctor can help you weigh the pros and cons of this medicine.
Smoking Cessation Book Reviews
Knowledge is power! Smoking cessation books can help educate us about what to expect when we quit smoking.
Quit Smoking Support
From enlisting the help of family and friends to connecting with others online who are going through what you are, building a solid support network is key to helping you quit smoking permanently.
Our Quit Stories
These real life accounts are powerful testaments to the value of quitting and represent some of the many benefits that we can all expect to enjoy when we quit smoking.